Library Events Calendar

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Cherrished Books

Whether it be from our childhood or our adult years, many of us had a book that we really love.
Tell us a little about your favorite book. What made it so special?


I love The Devil's Arithmetic by Lois Lowry. I lived in Germany for 3 years when I was very young. While we were there, a series was on television about the Holocaust. So, I learned about genocide and the horrors of the Holocaust at a very young age. It was not until college that I finally read The Devil's Arithmetic. It immediately struck a cord with me. I cried through several parts. I hate to cry but the book is so well written that I couldn't put it down. Of course, I know that the facts in the book, what things were really like, were accurate. Lois Lowry (or staff) really did her (or their) research. It just really touched me. I have read it about 3 times now, even though it is considered a juvenile chapter book.

My favorite fun book is The Royal Pain by Mary JaniceDavidson. I laughed so hard when I read it! I had stopped reading for fun because I was getting my Master's degree. This book not only relieved my stress, but also re-instilled my joy for reading.

2 comments:

SandiJ said...

It's hard to choose just one favorite! Most of my favorites are children's books! One of my oldest favorites is a really old book called "The Ghosts Who Went to School." It's my favorite because my mom and I read it together, the summer that I really learned to read. I still remember the way it smelled outside while we were reading, and the way the front steps felt warm from the sun.
I also love "The Report Card" by Andrew Clements. Everybody needs to read that book, to realize that children in school are so much more than their test scores or report cards say they are.
My favorite "grown up book" is probably "A Knight in Shining Armor" by Jude Deveraux. It is such a sweet love story, and it makes me laugh and cry all at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I love Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins. I'm Catholic myself, so when my father read this book to me when I was young, I had no idea I was getting a primer in the Jewish faith! Besides that, it's a fantastic book- beautiful illustrations and a clever story.

(See, I told you I'd post on your blog!)